A Chronicle of Shawn's Project Car 2002-2008
Current Configuration - as of 1/11/09
Car purchased. The car runs smooth and strong when warmed up although heavy boost caused a strange loud noise (suspect wastegate related) and 5th gear needs to be repaired. Engine has less than 1000 miles and the transmission was rebuilt (syncros). Car has smoke on cold startup. No documentation was available on car so I really wasn't sure what the car had until after I got it home and started digging.
Known Issues/Planned Mods
Removed Nose, Hood, Intercooler, Intake Piping, Radiator, AST, Battery and anything extra in preparation for intercooler and radiation replacement. Found a few parts no longer required left over from the air box removal. Decided to order block off plates and AST elimination kit immediately to be completed on this stage instead of later. Replaced the front marker light bulbs with white ones. Corrected turbo installation - several hoses were not exactly right.
Still waiting on Intercooler kit, AVC-R, and Brake Lines. Installed Center mount dual gauge pod from www.tripower.net and it looks great. Will be ordering stage 2 this week.
Installed intercooler but stopped after bent ac condenser line. Investigating possible condenser relocation.
Removed infjectors to be sent off to rceng.com or modification/calibration. Replaced fuel pump with high pressure denso. Completed AST elimination.
Removed ac condenser. Found custom condenser and decided to give it a try (after car is back on the road) so took stock condenser out in the meantime since it was bent. Installed radiator.
Installed block off plates, cut nose intake area to fit fmic, removed double throttle, started twin power install but found no "Y" harness included.
Removed all emission controls. Removed alternator. Removed coils for cleaning.
Reinstalled alternator. Installed Fuel Injectors, finished hoses/caps, reinstalled coils, replaced plugs and wires, cleaned manifold and throttle then reinstalled, completed intake tubing and Greddy elbow install. Completed battery relocation. Installed stereo equipment. Painted storage bins black (were silver). Filled radiator and power steering fluid. Drained oil and replaced filter. Installed and wired gauges. Installed and programmed Power FC. Repaired nose. Fixed turbo timer (wasn't grounded).
Tried to start the car and on the second time it turned over an in-line fuse blew that was put in for the battery relocation. The fuse was 80 amps and after checking the manual it required at least 120 amps for the starter. No fuse available to replace.
Purchased 150 amp fuse and in-line block. Disconnected battery and replaced fuse block/fuse. Removed 4 wires from Power FC as it seems to be the consensus that even though the 4 listed sensors/valves are no longer in the car it still makes a difference. Reconnected battery and started car. Started on first try! Let the Power FC go through it's calibration mode and car settled down to a smooth 1100 rpm idle with 18 PSI vacuum.
Fixed coolant line. Installed Boost controller. Installed hood. Idle hunted on test drive.
Installed A Pillar Dual gauge pod with Boost gauge. Installed twin power. Trimmed nose further for fit.
Reinstalled Boost Controller to top wastegate input. Reset Power FC to standard maps (modified map #5 sucks!).
Worked on nose fit with front quarter panels and hood.
Worked on nose a bit more - headlight area. Hi-flow cat due in on 6/26/02. Disabled O2 sensor to see if it helps with idle.
Kinda lost documentation urge at this point - I was just struggling to get the project done. Soon after my friend had an apex seal go and we did his entire engine replacement/single conversion. Dont think we did much documentation for his but he did take some pictures - maybe one day I will post.
But for now here are a few pics of things I have done since...(in no particluar order)